Book Review : The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides

read

Every time I pick a thriller or a mystery novel, I tend to put on my Sherlock hat and start predicting the ending. It is an annoying habit that I have tried in vain to give up. The narrative, as pronounced as it might be, loses its value if I get the ending right. Yes, I believe that if I could solve the mystery before the protagonist did, it is no good plot. I am sure most of us are culprits of trying to outsmart the writer, be it of a thriller novel, or a movie.
But, The Silent Patient is one of those rare books that promise a jaw-dropping ending. This book is indeed a perfect thriller and calls for a detailed review.
Disclaimer: No spoilers ahead! (I would never do that) πŸ˜„

The Silent Patient

Plot

The Silent Patient is an engaging psychological thriller. The book revolves around two main characters - Theo Faber and Alice Berenson. Alice Berenson, an artist by profession, is accused of killing her husband and she refuses to speak ever since the day of the murder. She is moved to a medical institution named "The Grove" for treatment, but for years, refuses to cooperate. When it seems to be a lost cause, Theo Faber, a psychotherapist, volunteers to treat her and begins therapy. Theo shares some parts of his troubled past with Alice during the sessions and they help each other recover. Alice decides to share her personal diary with Theo and helps him find out what happened on the day of the murder. Alice communicates using her paintings and Theo uses these leads to help Alice out.

Characters

Characters of The Silent Patient


The chart depicts some of the significant characters in the book. Alex's writing is so fluid and helps us visualize the characters vividly. My personal favorites include Diomedes, Yuri, Jean Felix, and of course, Theo and Alicia. The depth of each of these characters and their eerie descriptions adds to the charm of the book. I ended up suspecting most of the characters in the book at some point or the other. 
Alcestis deserves a special mention too. No, Alcestis is not a character, but a painting by Alicia! The references to Greek mythology and making paintings talk left me thoroughly intrigued.

Highlights

  • The therapy sessions are so well written and are a perfect balance of conversation and events. Every time I was about to put down the book, something happened in The Grove that made me want to read more.
  • The past and the present of each of the characters are intelligently woven throughout the story. It does not have a fixed pattern like most books. The transitions are more natural and organic.
  • Reference to paintings and personal diary added to the thrill of solving the murder.

Favorite Quotes

Listing down some of my favorite lines from the book!

"We're all crazy, I believe, just in different ways."

"Remember, love that doesn't include honesty doesn't deserve to be called love"

"I suppose what scares me is giving in to the unknown"

"Somehow grasping at vanishing snowflakes is like grasping at happiness: an act of possession that instantly gives way to nothing"
And the best one,

"We often mistake love for fireworks - for drama and dysfunction. But real love is very quiet, very still. It's boring, if seen from the perspective of high drama. Love is deep and calm - and constant"

Verdict

Yes, that is right. This book deserves a perfect 5/5. The book is a cliffhanger and it left me mind-blown. One of those binge-worthy reads that would definitely not leave you disappointed.

If you haven't read this one yet, grab this book right away and let me know how you liked it!

Happy Reading! 😁







Comments

  1. Great post! It sounds very intriguing and mind boggling which is what I love when I read psychological thrillers/mysteries too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! This sounds like an amazing book! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read this preethi :D Could absolutely relate to everything you've written. I always wanted to read but I have hardly read anything apart from autobiographies of sportspersons. Thanks for suggesting this on your fb page(by mistakeπŸ˜€) .

    I was also suspecting who it was going to be right throughout but never did I imagine that ending πŸ™

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment