Reminiscing Childhood Reads

read

As a kid my summers involved reading books, frolicking with cousins, watching M.A.D on Pogo or Finger Tips on TinyTV, and of course, beach evenings! The books that I read as a child influenced my personality to a great extent. They teleported me to exciting worlds. The characters became my friends and, together we solved many mysteries. 
The lazy summer afternoons spent with fictional characters bring back so many fond memories. Maybe it is time to take a short trip down the memory lane! Here is an account of my favorites, off the top of my head.


Harry Potter - J.K. Rowling


Undoubtedly, the Harry Potter series remains the most loved one. I was the same age as Harry Potter when I first started reading the books. Along with several magic spells and potions, the wizarding world taught me great values of friendship. A few lines cannot do justice to this great piece of literature. A dedicated post on HP coming soon!



Mystery Series: The Five Find-Outers - Enid Blyton

The gang consists of Larry, Fatty, Daisy, Pip, Bets (all aged between 8-13 yrs), and Fatty's pet, Buster. They stumble upon mysteries in their small town during summer vacations and outwit the local police force in solving them. Enid Blyton's engrossing writing compelled me to read all 15 books in this series. It is not surprising that to this date, they remain popular among kids.

Nancy Drew - Carolyn Keene 

Absolute girl power! One of those books that portrayed a bold, female protagonist. Nancy Drew is a high school graduate and detective who solves cases with her best friends. Her dad is an attorney and she at times picks his cases too. I was awed by Nancy's character as a kid. The series portrays her as a high spirited, super talented girl who is nothing short of a prodigy. The revised versions of the book updated the character to match the present times. Although I never solved thrilling crimes, on several occasions, I recollect trying to imitate Nancy in real life. *sheepish grin*.

The Diary of a Young Girl - Anne Frank 

A 14-year-old girl's diary, written during the Nazi period is one of its kind. A part of my journaling journey was inspired by this book. Anne addressed all her entries to "Kitty", giving life to her black journal. The book captures Anne's days in the secret annex with her family. Despite the hardships of living in a confined space with the constant fear of being exposed to the Gestapo, Anne wrote with positivity and humor on many occasions. It isn't one of the binge-worthy books but it sure left its mark on me.

Hardy Boys - Franklin W. Dixon


Frank and Joe Hardy cannot be easily forgotten. The action-packed cases that the daring brothers solved together made them world-famous. I liked the later versions that were titled "Undercover Brothers" a lot more as the characters were revamped to match the present times. Dressed in style, they were a part of American Teens Against Crime, solving serious cases that sometimes involved murder or violence too.


The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett

The first classic I ever read. The book describes transformation through the eyes of a 10-year-old girl named Mary. The plot includes compassion, friendship, mystery, and transformation, all interwoven in a picturesque way. As winter fades away to spring and summer, the secret locked away garden rejuvenates and the lives of all the characters change with it. This specific book appeals to both kids and adults alike.

When friends/family seek book recommendations for children, all the above top my list. As a teen, I could relate easily to books with protagonists of my age group. I think it is key to a memorable reading experience.
Looking back at my list, I am genuinely surprised that I did not pursue private detective as a career option. These were a few of the many books that defined my childhood. What were yours?

Happy Reading! 😁

Comments

  1. This is a great post and I love seeing what reads influenced people down the line. I've recently done a re read of Enid Blytons 'The magic faraway tree ' series and it was so amazing to dive back in so many years later!!!! I cant wait to read your future posts. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot! I am planning to re read some of them too. Especially Harry Potter :)

      Delete
  2. Great post and beautiful childhood, I was a lover of Harry potter too, really down the memory lane .
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rebiah!
      Glad you enjoyed the post :)

      Delete
  3. Harry potter always sends me back, they started my reading journey properly and I haven't looked back since. I'd love the collection in that case though, mine are looking a bit worse for wear!! Enid Blyton was a childhood fave too!! And I'm putting Anne Frank on my to read list!

    Really enjoyed reading this post! Thanks for sharing.

    James.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I would like to own a case like that too :)
      Anne Frank is one of its kind. Glad you enjoyed reading this post!

      Delete
  4. I absolutely loved Enid Blyton books when I was younger they were so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow some of these are throwbacks! When I was in school we read an inspector calls, a lot of Shakespeare and a Christmas carol! This is a fun post, thanks for sharing :)

    Em x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad you enjoyed reading the post :)
      I remember Christmas Carol! And we used to enact Shakespeare works at school :)

      Delete
  6. I loved The Diary of Anne Frank and The Secret Garden as a kid too! I also loved Jacqueline Wilson books and Little Women!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Jacqueline Wilson books. Little Women is good too :)

      Delete

Post a Comment