Demystifying journaling - A peek into my journey

read

"Why does one maintain a journal? What do they even write about? Should I start one?"
Have you ever been intrigued by these thoughts? Have you ever started journaling but never stuck with it?

I have been maintaining a personal journal for more than a decade now. I started way back in high school. It is one habit that has stuck with me and is here to stay. This post is an attempt at demystifying journaling for those who wish to start.


How did it start?

One summer vacation, I came across leather-bound diaries stacked away at my grandma's. Those belonged to my late granddad who I have never met. All the diaries were of the same brand and aged back to the 1960-1970s.  I was enthralled as a kid and sat for hours reading the messy writing on the old, yellow journals. Knowing that he was alive in those pages kindled a newfound interest in me. And thus began my journaling habit.

What do I write about?

Every year, a new journal's first page features unkept resolutions in my best handwriting. Following this, I write about absolutely anything. No rules.
At high school, exams, results, farewells, and constant change were the main subjects of my writing. I used to maintain countdowns for summer vacations. There were days when I have rambled on how it would be if Hogwarts existed in the real world. My all-time favorites are my college memories. Basketball tournaments, celebratory notes, narrow losses, hostel life, and farewells gained the spotlight. Adulting and moving to a new city made me write more than ever.
Apart from the day to day stories, book reviews found their place in my journal too. Some of the severe book hangovers resulted in pages of elaborate writing.

Why stick with it?

Reminiscence. Whenever I read through my old journals, memories come flooding back. The predicaments of the past, in most cases seem silly now. The happy days are missed dearly. Despite social media making it easier to share memories, the unadulterated feelings are truly reflected only in one's journal. 
Journaling has helped me declutter my mind and stay more productive. Any herculean task, when put down in writing, always looks less intimidating. It is as if my journal silently bids goodbye to all the undesirable thoughts.

  


Journal is - a friend, a companion, and a treasure. It takes absolutely nothing to start, but the habit could be life-changing. After all,
"Documenting little details of your everyday life becomes a celebration of who you are." 
- Carolyn V. Hamilton

Happy Journaling!😁

Comments

  1. What an amazing experience to have discovered those old journals! How special to be able to read about his life from him. I love journaling and have done it for years as well. I've gone back to read some of the ones from when I was a child and it's fun to gain insight into who I was from my adult perspective :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it truly was a very special experience :)
      Totally agree! I love re-reading my old journals!
      Glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete

Post a Comment